Pages

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Blurred lines: how to wear white platform shoes appropriately


The recent scandal of Miley Cyrus' VMA performance with Robin Thicke caused much speculation, which has quite clearly not faded yet, considering that the amount of feminist and parental monologues posted on Youtube is increasing day by day


Although personally I do believe that her performance was inappropriate for a live-televised family show, I simply cannot deny that I am in love with her outfit and those of the three semi-naked models in the original Blurred Lines video, in particular, the white platform Y.R.U. Qozmo shoes.


I was undecided as to whether to buy the shoes for myself, as they can be worn during the day (surely, they're practically flat?!); however, they are not available to purchase in the UK, shipping and taxes are currently at an extortionate price tag, they are not real leather so their lifespan is questionable, and I remembered that I could work with a pair of shoes I already have....

The Jeffrey Campbell Lita Fur (in white!)


White shoes don't seem to be the easiest to style at a first hearing, so I thought I would make myself a challenge and try and find 4 distinctively different, wearable- although that is subjective- outfits!

 Outfit #1: Modern floral queen

Customized denim shorts have yet to disappear of the fashion blogging scene! Here is a pair that I made myself from a pair of my mom's old jeans from the early nineties; I used pyramid studs on the inside of one front pocket and made a triangle design near the hem of the other. A Celine A/W catwalk from a couple of years ago inspired the tucking and pulling of the shirt low down. To complete the floral, indie character of the outfit, I added this floral crown, which I had used for World Book day fancy dress about 8 years ago, in which I dressed up as Shakespeare's Juliet.

 

 Shirt- H&M (Charity shop)
Shorts -Vintage & DIY
Crown-Car boot sale
Shoes  - Jeffrey Campbell


Outfit #2: Miss American Pie

Does anyone remember the Topshop denim American-flag print shorts that circulated 2 years ago, spotted on the likes of Rihanna and Marina Diamandis? Well, this is my slightly more obvious take on that patriarchal trend. I have yet to have the courage to wear these outside the four walls of my bedroom yet (except for this picture), but decided that they would look good with such 70s style shoes. I kept the rest of the outfit fairly low-key, with a plain white t-shirt to not distract from the shorts. I added a black-toned chain necklace and black leather clutch to keep the outfit slightly tough and street-wear-appropriate, and added some grey leopard print sheer socks for the hell of it.


T-Shirt- Primark
Shorts -Avion en Papier (Topshop Oxford Circus concession)
Necklace- Miss Selfridge
Clutch- Michael Kors
Socks- Auchun (French Supermarket)
Shoes  - Jeffrey Campbell


Outfit #3: I just can't get enough (of sequins!)

"Less is more"... really, does that quote still apply in the twenty-first century? Anna Dello Russo would certainly not agree! This is an outfit for a night out on the town. Now, you'd think that with such an array of colours in the dress, that it would be wise to home this focus by toning the rest of the outfit down. Think not! The metallic blue leather jacket is a lot more fun and occasion-appropriate than the typical black. The sequin clutch bag just adds another dimension, as the sequins area lot smaller and from a different colour-way. Yes, frilly socks are present, just to ensure that the outfit is not taken too seriously and mature (and also to prolong possible dance time, as none is lost to blister-examination).



Sequin dress- Louise Gray for Topshop
Blue leather jacket -Bershka
Clutch- H&M
Frilly socks-Topshop
Shoes  - Jeffrey Campbell




Outfit #4: Calafornia King Bed

This is my favourite outfit by a clear mile! Channeling Californian Skater Dudette vs LA chillaxed musician, this outfit contains only white and black, which makes it a lot more forgiving and instantly more sophisticated. The John Lennon-esque glasses and vinyl record bag just complete the indie vibe, making this outfit very versatile, for both daytime leisurewear and midnight clubbing. A chain bracelet and necklace keeps the outfit looking fresh and up-to-date (a bit of a nod towards the Rihanna for River Island SS13 Collection).

 
 
T-Shirt- All Saints
Shorts -True Decadence (House of Fraser)
Necklace- Miss Selfridge
Bracelet- Topshop
Bag- Handmade fair
Sunglasses- Huzzar Vintage (London Fashion Weekend)
Beanie- Zara
Shoes  - Jeffrey Campbell


 I hope I've given you some starting points for how to get good use out of white, platform shoes. Which is your favourite oufit? Would you get the Y.R.U flatforms?

talia xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Lol I'm so obsessed with those shoes! I'm looking for a pair to rock on halloween (and post halloween too of course :)

    ReplyDelete